Well-kept Saguenay Tourtière recipes
In Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean, cooking is first and foremost a story of sharing, these two recipes will allow you to invite a large number of guests, enough to treat all your family and friends! Since in the saguenay everyone has their own pie recipe, let's discover two recipes, first that of Nicole Cuisine du Quebec and that of Isabelle A. Melnick winner of a recipe contest of Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean Tourism
Tourtière du Lac Saint-Jean, Nicole's recipe
For 10 to 12 good portions
- Between 6 and 7 lbs (2.7 and 3.1 kg) minced meat:
- 3 lb. (1.4 kg) minced pork (or take pork tenderloin and chop yourself)
- 1.5 lb. (680 g) ground beef
- 1.5 lb. (680 g) chopped veal
- 6 chopped onions
- 4 c. (20 ml) salt
- Between 5 and 6 lb. (2.25 and 2.7 kg) potatoes (white, Russet, Yellow Gold, optional)
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of Crisco fat
- A pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) ice water
- Chicken broth or water, in sufficient quantity (about 5 cups / 1.5 liter)
- 150 g duck fat, cut into cubes (optional)
The recipe is done in two stages (the day before and the next morning)
Step 1. The day before: preparing meat, potatoes and dough
- Cut the meat into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cube. Mix the meat, onions and salt.
- Put in the fridge all night.
- Cut the potatoes into cubes about 1/2 "(1 cm). Put them in a bowl with water to prevent them from turning black. Keep cool all night.
- Prepare the two dough recipes. Sabler the fat and the flour. Add cold water without mixing too much. Make a ball with each pasta. Also put in the fridge all night.
Step 2. In the morning: assembly of the meat pie and cooking.
- Preheat oven to 425 ° F (220 ° C). Place the grid at the penultimate position in the oven
- Embroider a work plan. Roll 1 1/4 of the dough to obtain an oval dough (much larger than the surface of the casserole to make sure it exceeds) and return it to the process. Make sure it is 1/8 "thick. Fold it in 4. (will facilitate to put it in the casserole). Unfold and spread well in the pan and let it pass.
- Put a row of potatoes and another of meat. Pepper.
- Repeat the operation twice. Make a well in the meat (at least 2 inches deep) Pour the broth one cup at a time and let the ingredients soak. When well soaked, add the duck fat (if used) to the meat.
- Roll the remaining dough (3/4) and place on the top and fold the dough from below and close tightly. Cover.
- Bake for one hour at 425 ° F (220 ° C)
- Reduce heat to 350 ° F (180 ° C) and cook for one hour.
- Lower the heat to 300 ° F (150 ° C) and cook for 4 hours.
Let cool before serving.
Notes / Tips
The dough can be patched as needed by rolling ends and sticking
Tourtière is much better warmed ...
My recipe of Tourtière du Lac v2.0
- 2 pie slices
- 5 lbs (2.3 kg) beef, veal and kid, diced
- 5 lbs (2.3 kg) potatoes, peeled, diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 to 6 juniper berries
- salt and pepper with taste
- Beef broth
- Heat the oven to 400 ° F (200 ° C)
- Sear beef, veal and kid with onions over low heat for 15 minutes (just to brown a little).
- Mix the meats, juniper berries, salt and pepper.
- Cover the bottom and sides of a rotisserie with a pastry dough.
- Mix the potatoes and meats and put them in the roasting pan.
- Cover with beef broth.
- Cover with the second layer of dough; make a few holes in the center (3 or 4) to add broth as needed during cooking.
- Bake at 400 ° F (200 ° C) for one hour.
- Reduce the temperature to 325 ° F (165 ° C).
- Cook 7 to 8 hours; the longer it is, the better!
- Add broth to the rim at half-time.
Where to eat a tourtière in Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean?
- Restaurant Dédélicieux
- Chez Roger Boulangerie Dépanneur
- Le relais du souvenir
- Restaurant Ô Mets Chinois