The municipality of Lac-Bouchette was named after Joseph Bouchette, a surveyor the government sent to the region in 1928 to open new territories for colonization. He collected geographic data that delineated a vast territory extending over 900 km². There could not have been a more appropriate setting for a worship and pilgrimage site than the quiet shores of Lac Ouiatchouan. In 1907, abbot Elzéar DeLamarre built a house and a small chapel dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua. Painter Charles Huot was inspired to create 23 paintings depicting Saint Anthony miracles. The first pilgrims began arriving in 1912. A new chapel was added in 1915, this time dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes. Ten years later, the Capuchin friars took over the shrine, erecting a monastery at the site in 1948. A large number of people visit the Saint-Antoine hermitage, listed as one of Québec’s five national shrines.The whole family will enjoy the enchanting setting and the amenities and services offered year-round at the Centre Vacances Nature-Auberge EVA. In the heart of the village, you will find stores, lodging, and quality restaurants. There is a pump-out station available at the tourist information centre.