Parc national des Monts-Valin
Here are some good reasons to visit Saguenay—Lac-Saint-Jean:
- Leave no stone unturned in 4 national parks
- Gaze in wonder at the Tears of St. Lawrence
- Head to the mountains right outside town
- Have all kinds of slippery wintery fun
- Live with wild animals
- Snowshoe with ghosts
- Make it right to the top
- Torchlit tour through the snowy shapes in the Vallée des Fantômes
- Immaculately maintained hiking trails
- Take in the view
- Snowy ghosts in the Vallée des Fantômes
- Experience winter in Québec because Québec is winter!
- Broaden your horizons
- Cook up a storm with delicious local ingredients
- Warm up with Grandma’s gourgane soup
- Breathe in the heavenly aromas of tourtière
Museums & Interpretation centers
At the North Frontier
Visit the Discovery and Visitors Centre and see the At the North Frontier permanent exhibit, describing the main characteristics of the natural region developed and protected by the park. The model of the mountain, the herbarium, and the multimedia presentations will urge you to take to the trails and discover the park and its riches for yourself. The exhibit is available during Discovery and Visitors Centre opening hours.
- Schedule : Every day
- Length: Varies, usually about 30 minutes
- Admission: Free
For the network of trails (wilderness and shelter), visit the Sepaq Web site (www.parcsquebec.com), where information concerning trail length, difficulty level, and starting point is available.
Fishing & Hunting Outfitters
Fishing for speckled trout is authorized in many of the park's lakes and rivers. You'll enjoy whiling away the day on any number of lakes in the Martin-Valin sector. Packaged available for Fishing with accommodation, day fishing and fishing-Camping.
Equipment rentals: Tackle, boat, life jackets.
Period: May 30 to September 7, 2014
Cross-country Skiing & Snowshoeing
Access to the highest regional summits, Ghost Valley (Phantom shutlle), cabins, shelters, luggage transport.
CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING (exclusive trails - mechanically groomed trails, on saturday only)
- Total length: 12 Km
NORDIC SKIING AND SNOWSHOEING (marked trails but not groomed)
- Total length: 65 km / 71 km
- Equipment rentals (snowshoes, Walking poles, ski Hok)
- Boutique Nature (souvenir items, clothing, outdoor items)
- Transport Services (shuttle)
- Luggage transport
- Convenience Store
- Service in English depending on availability.
Map available at Tourist information office, on the Website and at site reception area.
Endless snow, a mountain worn by time, and outstanding viewpoints… That is the scene at Parc national des Monts-Valin. Dominating feature of the regional landscape, the impressive Massif boasts ten or so peaks above 800 metres high. The exceptional snow cover makes the park an ideal place for snowshoeing and skiing. Nestled at the heart of the Massif is the “Vallée des fantômes”, a haunting place worth seeing.
In spring, colours bring life back to the mountain, and a new range of activities open up. Several hiking trails of all difficulty levels, including that leading to Pic de la Hutte where small trees share space with arctic-alpine vegetation. Six lakes let you tease the trout by the day, or as part of a lodgings package. And why not paddle your canoe down the meandering Valin River?
A wide-ranging choice of accommodation is available all year-round, from igloo to three-star cottage; you will find a place that suits your nature. To make your stay a pleasant one, the park also offers a variety of services, such as equipment rentals, and luggage and people transportation. What are you waiting for, stand atop the Monts Valin and get a giant’s view of the region.
- Winter 2012-2013, December, 13 to Marsh, 30
- Summer 2014, May, 30 to october, 13
Admission: Access fees apply.
PARC NATIONAL DES MONTS-VALINEstablishment type : Alternative accommodations (5 units)
Price between $25.50 and $37.75
During winter, the huts are accessible on skis or snowshoes and are on the main circuits. Over 65 km of backcountry marked trails are accessible from the Discovery and Visitors Centre, on snowshoes, skis or by Snowcat shuttle (reservation required).
Maximum capacity: 8 pers.
Schedule for winter 2013-2014: Decembre, 13 to Marsh, 30, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
PARC NATIONAL DES MONTS-VALIN
Price between $121.00 and $201.00
Stay at one of our cabins in the Piedmont and Lac Martin-Valin sectors. In winter, the Lac Martin-Valin cabins become rustic shelters and are not accessible by car.
Stay in one of our 3 Nature Cabins (4 people) and 3 new EXP cabins (2 people_
Located in the Baie-d’Alexis sector, only 500 metres from Vallée des Fantômes, these compact and comfortable cabins are fully equipped. In the winter, they are accessible by shuttle service. Baggage is transported by snowmobile (fees apply for the shuttle).
Période: December 20, 2013 to March 30, 2014
PARC NATIONAL DES MONTS-VALIN
Price : $27.00
In winter, light camping is authorized on L'Eau-Vive campground. For safety reasons, only experienced and very well equipped campers will be admitted to a winter campground. No solo camping is allowed.
Periods: December 13, 2012 to Marsh 30, 2013
This winter, enjoy the Christmas holidays and school break to introduce your family to the snowshoeing. Easily access the valley of Ghosts with the shuttle The Phantom Express! Daily departures from the discovery center and services.
$ 147.75 / family (2 adults and 2 children under 18 years) for the roundtrip. Shelter heated accessible.
Taxes and access extra.
For a stay in the heart of the park, opt for the new Baie d'Alexis cabins just 500m from the renowned Vallée des Fantômes. Abundant snow and a guaranteed change of scenery!
The package includes:
- 2 nights of accommodations
- Round trip transportation in a caterpillar track vehicle (departure: 3 p.m., return: 11:30 a.m.)
- Round trip baggage transportation (2 baggages/adult, 1 baggage/child)
- Reservations by phone only: 1 800 665-6527
- Nature cabin accommodations: starting at $129.25/adult/quadruple occupancy
- EXP. accommodations: starting at $179.75/adult/double occupancy
- Pavillon Antoine-Dubuc accommodations: $129.25/adult
- Access to backcountry skiing and snowshoeing trails: included with the park entry fee.
Period: December 20, 2013 to March 30, 2014